Terms of Reference for Developing Strategic Plan for Tilitonse Foundation
Tilitonse Foundation (TF) was established in 2016 to support Malawian Non-State Actors to engage in governance and development interventions. The Foundation’s work is within the Malawi Government development policy frameworks such as the Malawi 2063 Agenda and global frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the African Union Agenda 2063 and the Paris Declaration. Tilitonse Foundation supports Non-State Actors in consolidating and up-scaling good governance and development interventions in Malawi. It aims at increasing capacity of NSAs to actively promote citizens’ engagement in democratic governance and in upholding citizens’ rights by the state.
Tilitonse Foundation believes that increased capacity of Non-State Actors and promoting levels of citizens’ engagement in democratic governance are important to catalyze increased accountability, responsiveness and inclusivity of the state and other service providers. The approach that Tilitonse Foundation is advocating is one of collaboration, partnerships, coalition building, and having strong linkages to grassroots communities. The Tilitonse Foundation Objectives are as follows:
- To build capacity in Non-State Actors to promote, strengthen, enhance and entrench good governance and build sustainability (of the civil society organizations);
- To mobilize and provide funds to Non-State Actors for the promotion and enhancement of good governance in Malawi;
- To provide a platform for Non-State Actors for improving inclusivity, transparency, accountability and responsiveness in governance in Malawi;
- To promote and encourage Non-State Actors to engage in societal transformation through catalyzing more accountable, inclusive and responsive governance.
The Foundation seeks to develop a five-year Strategic Plan for 2023-2027 period, the key document that will define its vision, mission statement, goals and strategies following the expiry of its 2018–2022 strategic Plan. The scope and focus of the assignment is to provide technical, strategic and facilitation support amongst other, to enable the development of a new strategic plan for the Foundation in line with its mandate.
2. Purpose of the assignment
To closely work with its Board of Directors and the Chief Executive Officer and Management of the Foundation, to lead the process of reviewing the expired strategic plan and development of a new strategic plan for the period of 2023-2027.
The strategic development will facilitate a directional analysis of TF, and an advocacy and communications, knowledge management, monitoring, and evaluation plan. This includes assessing the Theories of Change employed by TF and examining how they serve to deliver TF’s mission. The assignment will support the definition of a detailed outcomes measurement methodology for TF’s anticipated programming approach including the Shift the Power philosophy. The purpose of this assignment is to implement a strategic methodology and support and lead TF Directors, Management, staff and partners in a participatory planning process, ensuring a sense of ownership, engaging meaningfully with partners and stakeholders, Management and staff. The substantive outcome is a five – year strategic plan for the period 2023-2027.
- Scope of Work
The strategic plan must address, amongst other things, development of strong partnerships and resource mobilization initiatives and how to more effectively engage communities, CSOs, government agencies and development partners more meaningfully in the realization of TF’s vision and mission statement. The assignment will draw from any lessons from the previous strategic plan and best practices within similar strategic plans for other CSOs with similar modus operandi as Tilitonse Foundation.
Elements of the plan will include but not limited to:
- Develop a sound methodology that grounds the strategic plan and facilitates a directional
analysis for TF’s current operations and the integration and development of sustainability
- Conduct a needs assessment of the Organization including consideration of situation analysis and identification of constraints and opportunities for growth and development.
- Guide stakeholder mapping and consultations and understand, obtain, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data relevant to stakeholders and partners.
- Develop plans and strategies with clear deliverables, indicators and tools that address the
constraints and create the needed support systems and incentives.
- Development, validation, finalization and costing of the strategic plan 2023 – 2027, including outcome mapping for monitoring and evaluation, detailed implementation for 2023-2027, and general activities for 2023-2027.
- Recommend methodology and tools for evaluating outcomes and develop knowledge management, monitoring and communication strategy.
The Consultant will collect, evaluate and lead in the presentation and validation process. Some of these elements may be included in the final document, as an appendix or cited as separate literature.
- Specific Tasks
The Consultant will:
- Carry out a desk review of documents relevant to an understanding of the mandate, legal framework and context of TF.
- Review existing national strategies/actions, laws and policies on governance and development, and governing frameworks in Malawi.
- Assess existing Theories of Change employed by TF and support the TF team in establishing an Organizational Theory of Change for 2023 – 2027.
- Conduct needs assessment of TF, which shall include a review of the existing structure, financial strategy and sustainability and engagement with a view for the future expansion to be components of the final strategy.
- Support the definition and development of sustainability
- Develop a comprehensive methodology and work plan for a participatory process with a view of achieving support from members and partners, which includes holding consultations and facilitating interviews with relevant stakeholders including, but not limited to, donor and development partners, private sector and civil society NGOs.
- Lead a program of wider consultations to receive feedback on the draft strategic plan.
- Finalize the strategic plan, including the log frame and detailed implementation plan, for 2023 – 2024 and provide general activities for 2024 – 2027. The plan should include priority
programs and strategies, baselines and targets, timelines and resource allocations and a
monitoring plan and communication plan.
- Include a plan to align actions with existing relevant sectors’ strategies informed by best practices internationally and within Africa and Malawi working in a similar environment.
- Deliverable Outputs
Based on the above, assignment shall prepare and complete the five-year strategic plan. This shall entail, among other things the following:
- Inception report detailing the understanding of the assignment, detailed methodology and timelines
- A five year strategic plan with clear deliverables, key milestones, and direct guidance on implementation to strengthen Tilitonse Foundation vision and mission.
- External environment assessment and internal environment assessment of the stakeholders/SWOT analysis.
- Establish specific objectives for the strategy and implement tools for monitoring and evaluation of the communication strategy.
- Present the draft strategic plan to stakeholders to validate.
- A final Strategic Plan Document
- A process report
- Commitment to Quality Work
The assignment shall use an evidence based approach and ensure the highest standards of work and timely deliverables at every stage of this assignment. The consultant shall ensure clarity of objectives and process during the consultations, counter check all facts and figures cited, ensure that the content and format of the draft strategic plan meets the high standard for such documents and ensure proper editing and clarity. The consultant shall, at the onset of the planning process, identify all stakeholders having a direct and indirect interest in the strategic plan. Listing people, groups and institutions that influence the work of TF. All stakeholders must be able to make inputs into the strategic plan to promote ownership of the plan.
- Approach and Methodology
The consultant shall obtain disaggregated data, review relevant literature, interviews, and undertake field visits in selected areas. The consultant is permitted to form a team for the delivery of the objectives of the consultancy. The consultant is at liberty to propose methodology that would adequately result in the expected deliverables outlined in these ToRs. A participatory approach together with critical reflection by the Board, management, members of staff and key stakeholders will make the process meaningful.
- Qualifications/Competencies/ Experience
The Foundation is seeking for the services of a professional or a consultancy firm to develop a five-year strategic plan. The firm/individual must possess the following:
- Relevant work experience in strategic planning and development
- Lead person with a minimum of a Master degree in a relevant field such as Governance and Development Studies, Public Policy, with a minimum of 10 years’ experience working in governance and development.
- Excellent and proven analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, ability to prioritize and work with minimum supervision
- Possess knowledge in the general social, economic and political environment that influences governance and development in Malawi.
- Understanding of participatory approaches to management and operations, and the Shift the Power philosophy
The consultancy shall be for a period no longer than three months from July 2023.
Details shall be contained in a contract that shall be negotiated and agreed between the two parties.
- Interested parties should submit a concise proposal for how the work will be carried out.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their bids alongside detailed proposals, indicating their work schedule from the commencement to the end of the consultancy. Included should be: Understanding of the assignment (maximum 2 pages); Technical approach and suggested timeline (maximum 8 pages); Case studies of previous experience of strategic development planning and key personnel (maximum 2 pages); Budget for work to be undertaken (submitted in a single Excel worksheet and broken down into personnel, fees, travel and other)
11.Criteria for Evaluation
Proposals to conduct the final evaluation will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- 40%: Technical approach, methodology
- 20%: Understanding of assignment
- 20%: Experience and Proposed personnel
- 20%: Cost competitiveness and value for money
- Application details
Proposals should be submitted by email to email@example.com, with the subject line “Tilitonse Foundation Strategic Planning Consultancy” before or by 29th June, 2023. The Foundation values and appreciates all applications but only short-listed applicants will be contacted.